Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Think about thinking

Dear Ezra,

This is a thought about telling you how I think.  I have spent much time telling you how to think and not how I think.  In my observations, children know far more about how their parents think than their parents do.  I am sure this is true of you, so just consider it me telling you how I would like for you to think that I think and not how I really think because you have 5 interpreters of how I think and you probably think that you know more about how I think than any of them. if that is true, this will be a surprise to you.

I think about you every day and I often wish that we could have a conversation about the birds and the cow, like we used to do. But, Hihschool is a whirlwind time and I am aware that you have far more important things to think about than bird and cows.  Square roots and Pythagorus are far more engaging, along with other parts of nature which are noticeable to you, now.


When you were 4 and 6 I read to you and you read to me.  I wrote a lot about what I was doing and fully intended to combine the stories one of these days. Time has swept much of my writing into the trash, for busyness. You have so much of my personality that we can talk about any subject and hardly argue about it.{except for the purpose of memorizing square roots, before you know what they are.}. We may never agree on that.


I had thought that if I could give you the best gift I had, it would be to bundle up all I had learned as much as I could and deliver it to you in a form that you could never forget.

I might not have been fully successful in my endeavor, but you remember the roots.  That is one thing.  You also remember your holy providence wise and matrimony which has become a joke.

 Thinking and memory are very important but very delicate things.  If you don't exercise them, they will deteriorate and you won't be able to remember much at all.  Try not to waste your memory on the insignificant, like just one word repetitions.  Expand your mind to include rhyme and prose, fiction and nonfiction and science and math.  You know what I think about those video games.  I call them mind syphons.  You cannot find your mind, if you lose it.  It is a muscle.

Let's find some way to engage one another in some competitive memorizing, so our minds won't get old...

No comments:

"Don't plant butterflies!"

"Don't plant butterflies!"
Ezra At School 2008

Bear books I'm fond of

  • Winnie the Pooh, Corduroy, Paddington Bear, The Francis series.

Finally!

Finally!
First Day of Kindergarten